Latest News

Jul 27, 2010

Asbestos Connection To Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Early in 2010, both a government health department and a court appeal ruling over distinctions to be made between causal connections in the issue of asbestos exposure, pleural thickening, pleural plaques and development of mesothelioma, proved disappointing to the claimants involved in the claim for mesothelioma compensation.

Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease ( COPD) is another serious disease, where researchers have stated that the connection with asbestos is not as clear as in other lung diseases, even though reports of exposure to asbestos can easily irritate a previously existing case of COPD. In some cases, however, asbestos exposure may be one of the factors that causes the condition.

Many with Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease also suffer both emphysema and chronic bronchitis. In the case of COPD, the airways and air sacs (alveoli) of the lungs lose their elasticity, often making it difficult to properly exhale, and trapping air inside the lungs. Stale air in the lungs means reduced ability for oxygen exchange, inhibiting expulsion of carbon dioxide.

The appearance of any of the following symptoms of COPD is a likely sign that significant lung damage has occurred :

-A persisting cough
-Increased phlegm and mucus production
-Shortness of breath
-Feeling of tightness in the chest
-Wheezing
-Frequently occurring respiratory infections

Smoking is the primary cause of emphysema and lung cancer. It is also known to greatly increase the risk of lung cancer and asbestosis for people who are exposed to asbestos. Amongst the many of those who formerly worked in heavy industries, which manufactured or worked with asbestos materials and were also regular heavy smokers, some have been called to establish the extent of the causal connection with asbestos exposure by detailed medical diagnosis.

The long period of latency combined with a continued heavy smoking habit may also affect an asbestosis claim and the expertise and advice of an asbestosis lawyer will be necessary at the outset.

19 Responses to “Asbestos Connection To Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease”

1. James Anderson

I was diagnoised with asbestosis in 2001, not knowing this was not a good thing. in
    2007 I got a bad case of Pneumonia and moderate copd. I have just became aware
    of the severity, Are there any chances of beating this????

2. maureen nesbit

i have had scopd for3 yrs 1am 76, my son is 43 and just been diagnosed i washes my husbands overalls for 20 yrs till he died at 45 . curiuos or what .

• RachelJ

Dear Ms Nesbit,

Thank you for your comment. A diagnosis of COPD is much less likely to be asbestos related than other illnesses. If you or your son are diagnosed with any other illness, please contact us on freephone 0800 294 3065.

3. Waddell Canty

I smoked occassionally and was diagnosed with COPD in 2000. I served in the Navy aboard ship from 1969 to 1971

• RachelJ

Dear Mr Canty,

Thank you for you online enquiry. I have replied to you personally via email.

Many thanks
      Rachel

4. hank hoyt

Howdy, I was inducted into the Coast Guard in 1968.
    Worked on a few Lagging teams after Boot camp.
    Stationed in Naples Italy, and helped dismantle a LORAN Station’s Engineering spaces in Northern Libya in 1970. The LORAN Sta. was built in the early 1950′s
    Served in the Navy from 1974 to 1985. Served aboard the Nimitz twice and the Kennedy once.
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker until I quit in 2006.
    I am currently
    receiving SSD for COPD, any thoughts about the asbestos and the COPD being part of the same
    diagnosis?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

hank

• RachelJ

Dear Hank – thank you for your email.

I will reply to you by direct email for privacy.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

5. lisa lawrence

I was a smoker for 25 years and was in a house fire in 2001. The house was built in approx the 60 maybe. I don’t know how much smoke I enhaled. About 5 years after the fire I quit smoking and began having problems breathing. I was finally diagnosed with broncheostasis. Could any of this be related to any asbestos exposure?

• RachelJ

Dear Ms Lawrence,

Thank you for your enquiry via our website. I am sorry to hear of your ill health however we would not expect a diagnosis of broncheostasis to be asbestos related.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

6. kate smith

hi my dad has been dignosed with sever copd he also has underlying asma he has lost 50% of his lung function he also suffers with sleep apner he is also bringing up black discharge he worked as a welder and a miner in the 70s my grandad also suffers copd and we have just found out he has aspestosis he is now 90 year old. could you offer some advice please

• RachelJ

Hi Kate,

I replied to your message by direct email last week. I hope you received my email and will follow up with you this week.

Kind regards
      Rachel

7. Alex R

I was diagnosed with restrictive COPD last year. I am a 45 year old non-smoker who is in relatively good health (I think). For the last several weeks I have been waking up with rales and coughing that lasts throughout the day which produces mucus. Lately, I am often light headed when I cycle(my favorite pastime). My wife also noticed that I have stopped breathing while asleep (sleep apnea?). I was exposed to asbestos for a period of 2-4 years while serving in the Air Force in the late 80s. Question: Am I experiencing early stages of asbestosis? or something else? Please advise. Thanks

• RachelJ

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your enquiry. We will respond to you by direct email in this matter.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

8. Jonathan

Hi I’m 50 years old. I was diagnosed with COPD when I was 21 years old. I am a non smoker. However before I was diagnosed. I was exposed to Asbestos at my job site. There was construction going on the men wore protective clothing. For over a 2 week period I cleaned up the debris. The Secretary & I both worked in the office for that 2 week period she later was diagnosed with Asbestosis I was diagnosed with COPD Emphysema remind you I was 21 years old non smoker. I never had any problems with my lungs as a child or teenager or adult. I was diagnosed with the COPD Emphysema I went to my Dr. because I had injured my rib carrying two trash cans filled with trash that’s when they told me my diagnosis. It’s ironic how the Secretary & I both were diagnosed with something after the exposure to Asbestos. Now Currently August 2014 I finally got insurance went to my Dr. told him my history he looked at me all puzzled. I told him look that was 30 years ago now that I have insurance you tell me what is wrong with me. He called me back I have COPD. My question is this disease due to the exposure to Asbestos. My story is similar to Alex here on this page. Thank You! Jonathan California

• RachelJ

Dear Jonathan,

I will reply to you by direct email in relation to your comment.

Many thanks
      Rachel

9. L.Johnson

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with copd and a mass in his lung or behind his lung in 2011, he was a smoker for years but quit in 2011. His weight went from 240 lbs to 118 lbs. He has fluids in his chest with a very bad cough, shortness of breath and no appetite. He worked in a manufacturing plant for 25 years around asbestos. My question is could he also have Asbestosis or Mesothelioma?

• RachelJ

Dear Mrs Johnson,

Thank you for your enquiry. I will reply to you by direct email.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

10. Sharon R Dodson

My husband died of COPD in September 2014. He worked in the automotive field for 43 years. He worked on brake shoes and pads during the 1960′s and 1970′s, which had asbestos. Four people (that I know of), including his brother, all worked on that line with him and all died of COPD. His doctor has said that asbestos had something to do with his COPD. Is there anything I can do? Thank you for your response.

• RachelJ

Dear Mrs Dodson,

Thank you for your enquiry. I will reply to you by direct email.

Kind regards