Latest News

Jul 27, 2010

Asbestos Connection To Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Early in 2010, both a government health department and a court appeal ruling over distinctions to be made between causal connections in the issue of asbestos exposure, pleural thickening, pleural plaques and development of mesothelioma, proved disappointing to the claimants involved in the claim for mesothelioma compensation.

Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease ( COPD) is another serious disease, where researchers have stated that the connection with asbestos is not as clear as in other lung diseases, even though reports of exposure to asbestos can easily irritate a previously existing case of COPD. In some cases, however, asbestos exposure may be one of the factors that causes the condition.

Many with Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease also suffer both emphysema and chronic bronchitis. In the case of COPD, the airways and air sacs (alveoli) of the lungs lose their elasticity, often making it difficult to properly exhale, and trapping air inside the lungs. Stale air in the lungs means reduced ability for oxygen exchange, inhibiting expulsion of carbon dioxide.

The appearance of any of the following symptoms of COPD is a likely sign that significant lung damage has occurred :

-A persisting cough
-Increased phlegm and mucus production
-Shortness of breath
-Feeling of tightness in the chest
-Wheezing
-Frequently occurring respiratory infections

Smoking is the primary cause of emphysema and lung cancer. It is also known to greatly increase the risk of lung cancer and asbestosis for people who are exposed to asbestos. Amongst the many of those who formerly worked in heavy industries, which manufactured or worked with asbestos materials and were also regular heavy smokers, some have been called to establish the extent of the causal connection with asbestos exposure by detailed medical diagnosis.

The long period of latency combined with a continued heavy smoking habit may also affect an asbestosis claim and the expertise and advice of an asbestosis lawyer will be necessary at the outset.

11 Responses to “Asbestos Connection To Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease”

1. James Anderson

I was diagnoised with asbestosis in 2001, not knowing this was not a good thing. in
    2007 I got a bad case of Pneumonia and moderate copd. I have just became aware
    of the severity, Are there any chances of beating this????

2. maureen nesbit

i have had scopd for3 yrs 1am 76, my son is 43 and just been diagnosed i washes my husbands overalls for 20 yrs till he died at 45 . curiuos or what .

• RachelJ

Dear Ms Nesbit,

Thank you for your comment. A diagnosis of COPD is much less likely to be asbestos related than other illnesses. If you or your son are diagnosed with any other illness, please contact us on freephone 0800 294 3065.

3. Waddell Canty

I smoked occassionally and was diagnosed with COPD in 2000. I served in the Navy aboard ship from 1969 to 1971

• RachelJ

Dear Mr Canty,

Thank you for you online enquiry. I have replied to you personally via email.

Many thanks
      Rachel

4. hank hoyt

Howdy, I was inducted into the Coast Guard in 1968.
    Worked on a few Lagging teams after Boot camp.
    Stationed in Naples Italy, and helped dismantle a LORAN Station’s Engineering spaces in Northern Libya in 1970. The LORAN Sta. was built in the early 1950′s
    Served in the Navy from 1974 to 1985. Served aboard the Nimitz twice and the Kennedy once.
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker until I quit in 2006.
    I am currently
    receiving SSD for COPD, any thoughts about the asbestos and the COPD being part of the same
    diagnosis?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

hank

• RachelJ

Dear Hank – thank you for your email.

I will reply to you by direct email for privacy.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

5. lisa lawrence

I was a smoker for 25 years and was in a house fire in 2001. The house was built in approx the 60 maybe. I don’t know how much smoke I enhaled. About 5 years after the fire I quit smoking and began having problems breathing. I was finally diagnosed with broncheostasis. Could any of this be related to any asbestos exposure?

• RachelJ

Dear Ms Lawrence,

Thank you for your enquiry via our website. I am sorry to hear of your ill health however we would not expect a diagnosis of broncheostasis to be asbestos related.

Kind regards
      Rachel Johnston

6. kate smith

hi my dad has been dignosed with sever copd he also has underlying asma he has lost 50% of his lung function he also suffers with sleep apner he is also bringing up black discharge he worked as a welder and a miner in the 70s my grandad also suffers copd and we have just found out he has aspestosis he is now 90 year old. could you offer some advice please

• RachelJ

Hi Kate,

I replied to your message by direct email last week. I hope you received my email and will follow up with you this week.

Kind regards