Electrician exposed to asbestos dust

Exposed to asbestos dust whilst working as an Electrician

Mr B is awarded  £12,500 on behalf of his late father who tragically died suffering from an asbestos related condition.  His Father was exposed to asbestos dust whilst working as an Electrician for contractor firm Holliday Hall and Stinson during the construction of Ratcliffe on Soar Power Station in 1968.  After being taken on by the CEGB to work in this power station he continued to be exposed to asbestos whilst performing his duties up until 1976

Mr B suffered with breathing difficulty for some time before he was diagnosed with pleural thickening in April 2007.  His health continued to deteriorate requiring hospital admissions and procedures to alleviate his symptoms.  He was cared for by his family until he died in November 2007.  Using the information available the medical expert in this case was able to confirm that Mr B was suffering from a disablement of 5-10% due to asbestos related pleural thickening.

This was a particularly difficult case because the witness evidence of Mr B could not be tested in court and there were no other witnesses who could provide corroborative evidence about the working practices used at the power station.

The coroner who conducted the inquest did not retain the tissue samples taken during the post-mortem examination so the vital evidence of a fibre count was lost.

Despite the difficulties through this case the family stayed strong and won justice for their father.

 
If you have been affected by asbestos or a family member or friend has been diagnosed or is suffering with an asbestos related illness, please contact us on 0800 294 3065 for confidential advice or click here.