The gentleman, aged 71, from Crewe contracted asbestosis when he worked in the rail depot. He started with British Rail in 1955 as an apprentice and worked for them for over 34 years, working his way up to Works Department Inspector.
In 2010 he was diagnosed as having asbestosis, which is a chest condition caused by exposure to asbestos. This has greatly affected his life and he is now permanently breathless.
This is particularly harrowing as the client also lost a brother and close friends to mesothelioma, the lung cancer caused by asbestos fibres. The case was settled on a provisional basis, which allows him to reopen the case should he in future should he contract any further asbestos illnesses.
Asbestos was used in all aspects of manufacturing and industry until it was banned. As the fibres can sit in the lungs for up to 40 years before they produce any symptoms we are still feeling the affects on a generation of workers, many who retired decades ago. The suffering of asbestos related illnesses is not expected to reach its peak until 2030 when illnesses caused by asbestos exposure should slowly start to decline.
If you have been affected by asbestos or a family member or friend has been diagnosed or is suffering with an asbestos related illness, please contact us on 0800 294 3065 for confidential advice.