Asbestos victims welcomed an increase in the lump sum payment they will receive through the Mesothelioma Lump Sum Payments Scheme set up by the Government. The increased payments will be made from the 1st April 2012.
For example a 37 year old will receive £81,536 instead of £52,775, and 77 year old will receive £12,666.
You can claim a one-off lump sum payment if you:
- are unable to make a claim under the 1979 Pneumoconiosis Act
- have not received payment in respect of the disease from an employer, a civil claim or elsewhere
- are not entitled to compensation from a Ministry of Defence scheme
The scheme covers people whose exposure to asbestos occurred in the United Kingdom and was not as a result of their work as an employee. For example:
- they came into contact with asbestos from a relative – for example by washing their clothes
- they were exposed to asbestos in the environment – for example, they lived near a factory using asbestos
- their exposure to asbestos was while self-employed
- their exposure cannot be specified but it occurred in the United Kingdom
If you would like help applying for this benefit you can contact us on 0800 294 3065