WE Solicitors have represented a former employee of Rosser & Russsell Ltd based in London. Our client approached us despite having moved to live in New Zealand some years ago. He had been advised that he had asbestosis whilst in New Zealand many years after his asbestos exposure.
Asbestosis is a condition caused through the inhalation of asbestos fibres. This causes breathing difficulties that range in severity from modest symptoms of breathlessness to chronic shortness of breath where an oxygen feed is required almost constantly.
Our client was an apprentice heating engineer from 1954 to 1966. He was regularly required to remove asbestos lagging from pipework in boiler houses to allow pipe fitters and heating engineers to do their job. He described the lagging coming away in large clumps sometimes all you had to do was pull it off or use a hammer. He also worked in close vicinity of laggers who would often be following up right behind where he was working. Asbestos dust would be everywhere when he was around them.
Whilst working with the company he worked at Imperial College London, University College London, BBC White City and London Airport to name a few.
Having moved to be with his family who had already emigrated to New Zealand he started having breathing difficulties in around 2005 and suffered repeated bouts of pneumonia. This has slowly grown progressively worse and in 2012 he was eventually diagnosed with asbestosis. He is now reliant upon his family to help him through the day.
Although the client lived in New Zealand we were happy to deal with the case. All our meetings took place via Skype so our client was able to see who was dealing with his case back in the UK. Despite living in New Zealand he was still eligible to receive benefits and government payments. We were able to obtain all his New Zealand medical records, immigration records and work records which helped set out how this condition had gradually become worse over time. Our client recovered a significant undisclosed sum in damages.
If you or a loved one are affected by an asbestos related condition then please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible so we can help you.