Two brothers have been jailed for exposing workers to asbestos during building work in Stoke-on-Trent.
Neither Akram Hussain nor Inam Hussain, both from Stoke-on-Trent, were qualified in demolition or licensed to remove asbestos, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said.
It has been found that at least seven employees were exposed to asbestos during work at a former print works in Burslem in 2012.
Both Akram Hussain and Inam Hussain admitted breaching health and safety laws.
They were jailed for 22 weeks and 14 weeks respectively. Akram was also ordered to pay costs of £43,000.
The HSE said the brothers continued to refurbish the building and disturb asbestos material despite repeated visits from inspectors.
Speaking after the hearing at Stafford Crown Court on Wednesday, HSE inspector Lindsay Hope said: “This was an appalling case of failing to properly plan, manage and resource this project, which led to workers being exposed to risks to their health from asbestos.”
Once inhaled, asbestos fibres cannot leave the lungs resulting in serious health conditions such as asbestosis and mesothelioma which is incurable. Symptoms of both asbestosis and mesothelioma can take anywhere between 12-40 years to appear.
If you have been exposed to asbestos at work, please contact us today on Freephone 0800 294 3065 or talk to us on live chat where we will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.