A woman died from mesothelioma caused by inhaling asbestos dust while she washed her husband’s work overalls.

Now the family of Mary Pointer, from Saltburn, North Yorkshire, are appealing for her husband Ronald’s former colleagues to assist with an investigation into the working conditions he endured.

An inquest held at Teesside Coroner’s Court on September 16 confirmed that Mrs Pointer, 86, died of the industrial disease mesothelioma on April 12, 2014.

Before her death, Mrs Pointer instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers to investigate how and why she was exposed to the deadly dust.

Mary had been married for 45 years to Ronald Pointer who died in 1999 aged 85.

Mr Pointer worked for the CEGB in Marchwood Power Station by the River Test in Southampton from around 1955 to 1970 in the boiler room before becoming a turbine operator.

His widow regularly washed his overalls which were covered in dust, shaking the dust from them every day for around 10 years.

As the family did not have a plumbed in bath or shower, Mr Pointer would sometimes head straight to bed with asbestos dust in his hair which would send clouds of dust into the air when Mrs Pointer shook out the bedding.

Her 49-year-old son Darryl is now continuing the case on her behalf.

He said: “I was absolutely distraught seeing my mum deteriorate so quickly.

“Where were the warnings of the dangers of asbestos dust? She devotedly cared for her home and family – I just don’t understand why she should die now as a result.

“It won’t just be my mum; it will be affecting other people’s loved ones, too. Please, I urge you, if you have any information about the working conditions at the Power Station or know anyone who worked with my dad, contact us as you may be able to help with our investigations.”

This tragic case highlights that even though you may not have had direct occupational contact with asbestos, the fibres can still be transferred to the family home on clothing.

Through handling contaminated fabrics, the asbestos dust becomes disturbed and airborne. If inhaled, the particles become permanently lodged in the lungs, eventually causing mesothelioma.

If you or a family member have been affected by asbestos exposure, please contact us today on Freephone 0800 294 3065 or talk to us on live chat where we will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.