A former Magnet Joinery worker who fears he was exposed to asbestos at the site is appealing for ex-colleagues’ help in his legal battle.
Geoffrey Dawson, 79, of Keighley, West Yorkshire, was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January this year after he started to suffer from back pain and breathing problems in late 2014.
Mr Dawson believes that he was exposed to asbestos while working for Magnet Joinery Ltd between the 1970s and 2001 and that has caused his incurable cancer.
Mr Dawson and his legal team are appealing to his former colleagues at Magnet Joinery Ltd, where he worked from 1973 until his retirement in 2001, to come forward with any information about the presence of asbestos and whether measures were taken to prevent employees being exposed to asbestos.
During his working life at Magnet Joinery Limited Geoff regularly worked in and around areas where it was very dirty and dusty in the factory. Magnet manufactured several products at the site that are likely to have contained asbestos.
Geoff said: “My wife, Barbara and I were shocked and devastated by my diagnosis and are struggling to come to terms with it. I have always been fit and healthily throughout my life and enjoyed an active lifestyle.
“I never knew that the work that I did so many years ago would affect my life now. I can no longer do the things I used to enjoy and I’m very concerned about what the future holds for us.
“I really hope that my former work colleagues and employees of Magnet Joinery Ltd will now help and provide any information about the conditions that I worked in so my family and I can get the justice that I deserve.”
If you or a family member have been affected by mesothelioma, please contact us on 0800 294 3065 where we will be able to help, support and advise you in the best way possible.