We Solicitors have successfully concluded another mesothelioma claim against what was the former Central Electricity Generating Board. Sadly this is just another one of many claims we have had to bring against them for asbestos related injuries including pleural thickening, asbestosis and mesothelioma.
Mr C worked as an Instrument Engineer from around 1970 to around 1993. During this time he worked all over the world on secondment from the CEGB to various power generating bodies in South Africa and Zimbabwe overseeing the installation of power stations in those countries. He was also based at Eggborough Power Station based near Goole in North Yorkshire. Throughout his time working for the CEBG he was exposed to asbestos throughout his working day.
Asbestos was widely used within power stations to insulate pipework and boilers. This insulation was removed and applied in the presence of Mr C who would oversee the work being undertaken often by outside contractors. Asbestos has been considered a dangerous substance since the early 1930’s however due to its insulation qualities it was widely used up to the late 1980’s and beyond.
The claim was brought by Mr C’s family after he passed away due to mesothelioma, a cancer caused through inhalation of asbestos fibres. The family contacted us to seek advice about making a claim. We were able to trace witnesses, assist with the inquest, obtain Government benefits for Mrs C and start the claims process again against the defendant.
The Claim was settled by the insurers who represent the successor to the CEGB without the need to commence court proceedings. The family were awarded a significant six figure sum in compensation for the loss of Mr C and whilst no amount of money can compensate for the loss of a loved one the money will afford some financial security to Mrs C.
Steven Evans the solicitor who dealt with the case said, “Sadly this was a preventable death. The Government were well aware of the dangers of asbestos decades ago but continued to use it widely in the power industry. All these deaths could have been prevented had they provided personal protective equipment and used alternative insulation products. Mr C is one of many former workers whose health has been affected and whose lives have been cut short because of the negligence of their former employers. It can take anywhere between 12 and 40 years for mesothelioma to develop which leaves decades of uncertainty for former workers exposed to asbestos”.
Mr C’s daughter who dealt with the claim for the family said “I can’t thank you enough. I have found you supportive since the beginning, particularly when things were still very raw. I would recommend you to anyone.”
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos related illness or believes they have been exposed to asbestos please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 294 3065.