Mesothelioma Claim Process
You may have already been diagnosed with mesothelioma or may be awaiting a diagnosis from your consultant. It is important that you contact us immediately in order to commence investigations, even if you think you do not have a claim.
Mesothelioma claim process
This is only a very broad guide as mesothelioma claims are extremely time consuming and need almost daily work by a solicitor if a settlement is to be achieved. We have set out a general picture of how we deal with most mesothelioma cases and the timescales involved.
Collecting the information
- A face-to-face meeting, with one of our solicitors, as soon as is convenient with you and your family.
- We will piece together your working history focusing on asbestos exposure.
- We will obtain your medical records and employment history
- We will complete the relevant documentation allowing you access to UK Government benefits.
- We liaise with local support groups so you have other sufferers to talk to about their own experience if you wish.
- We will obtain witness statements from you and any former colleagues we may trace or may make an appeal for people to come forward and assist with the case.
Making the claim
- We will write to your former employer(s) or their insurer(s) advising them of the claim.
- We will arrange for you to see a consultant surgeon to write a report confirming the diagnosis of mesothelioma.
- We may instruct various other experts including a care expert, engineer and forensic accountant to strengthen the case.
- We will attempt to settle your claim without the need for court action however we will hope to expedite court action within 3 to 6 months of you instructing us.
Due to the speed at which Mesothelioma cases need to be finalised, certain UK courts have devised a fast track system to deal with them. This is to assist sufferers and ensure, where possible, they have the benefit of any compensation in their lifetime. It is therefore important that you seek advice from lawyers who have experience of this fast track system and can guide you through the legal process.
Our main aim is to take the strain of the legal matters and allow you to concentrate on the various medical treatments you will have to undergo. We will keep you regularly updated but we will try where possible to keep our contact to a minimum.
In most cases we would hope to expedite the case and have a resolution within 6 months from the date you first contacted us.
If you or a family member have recently been diagnosed with Mesothelioma and want to know more about your right to claim and the process involved click the button or call us on 0800 294 3065.